The basic principles underlying functional medicine include:
- Science-based medicine that connects the emerging research base to clinical practice.
- Biochemical individuality based on genetic and environmental uniqueness.
- Patient-centered care rather than disease-focused treatment.
- Dynamic balance of internal and external factors that affect total functioning.
- Web-like interconnections among the body's physiological processes also affect every aspect of functionality.
- Health as a positive vitality, not merely the absence of disease.