It is defined by principles rather than by methods or modalities. Its principles and philosophies are an integral component of naturopathic assessment, diagnosis, and treatment. It emphasizes disease as a process rather than as an entity.
The six principles of naturopathic medicine are:
- First, Do No Harm (primum non nocere)
- Healing Power of Nature (vis medicatrix naturae)
- Treat the Cause (tolle causam)
- Treat The Whole Person (tolle totum)
- Doctor as Teacher (docere)
- Disease Prevention and Health Promotion